Friday, May 16, 2008

You Know You're A Foody When....

Okay, I know every single one of you have been a similar situation...

It is a true weekend night for me, I have no plans (knock on wood) of going into work for the next two days. I start thinking... Little Man has gone to bed, my boyfriend is busy and I am home with the Internet and some rum. One drink (add or subtract numbers as required), one smoke, two drinks, two smokes, start in on the third drink and you realise you are toasted. Wonderful, I need to get up early in the morning, my human alarm clock will ensure that. Solution? A little snacky before bed.

(This is when the foody starts to come out.)

I have worked all week being part accountant, part chef. I spend a lot of time thinking about food, the preparation of or the cost of. I have spent the past three years of my career catering to the common American. The purchaser of mass produced, basically bland but salty food. I understand trying new things can be a little frightening. I don't want to spend my money on something I might not like. (Side Note: Please, by all means, ask to try it.) Anyways, it is late in the evening I don't actually want to cook food for myself but everything in the pantry looks tasteless, especially to the rum idled tongue. What can I throw into the microwave? What can I do to something microwavable from the pantry to make it palatable? Solution? Add big flavor and some kick.... Chicken noodle soup with a large dose of red curry paste, that has a permanent home in my refrigerator. Toss in a couple crackers and this sweat inducing concoction has be still feeling buzzed but refreshed.

No comments: